Friday, October 01, 2004

Leviticus 19:15


Leviticus 19:15 "Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly."


While this directly speaks to judicial matters, I think it also speaks in general to the equal treatment for all men no matter how high or low they may be. In applying to political matters, it makes me wonder what is the right way to tax the rich and poor? It's true that the poor should not be saddled with high taxes, and that the rich can afford higher taxes. We also need to consider the real possibility that leaving people with more money in their pockets is a catlyst for the growth of small business.

For many years people have been asking for a flat tax, without the complicated deductions and regulations of our present system. I know in my own life I always felt that the present system is unfair. When I have worked overtime, the total taxes have been more than 20% at times, working extra doesnt always mean extra money in our present system. I think its time for something simple that is fair to everyone.

Any comments?

AC

1 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

I've often wondered what the downside to a flat tax would be? I can only see that it is common sense except in the case of the extreme poor (those who really cannot afford any extra expense). But there are a lot of 'poor'(those who don't have as much as they'd like but who could afford to pay their taxes without infringing on the necessities of life) who could contribute a small amount and maybe they wouldn't mind if they didn't feel that the rich were getting away with tax-havens, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home